Saturday, January 26, 2008

Arts, Crafts as a political and social tool



A merry little Christmas elf thought it would be fun to put this button in with my Christmas goodies. Of course, the sentiments were greatly appreciated and don't we all wish that was the answer to it all!
Interestingly enough, shortly thereafter I discovered there was a recent interesting exhibition in Calgary, Alberta ( Canada) entitled " Craft Hard Die Free: Radical Curatorial Strategies, Craftivism in Unruly Contexts". The photograph accompanying the announcement certainly made my button look like small change:

The colours are so full of life and joyful and definitely this artist made a powerful statement!
Unfortunately, in any associated information regarding the exhibition or in my research of same, credit was not given to either the artist or the photographer which to me, is a major and grievous oversight!
However, in the course of my search, I discovered another very interesting blog which covers digital, radical, techno, innovative, fine, D.I.Y, process, craftivism and hobbyist craft - The Craft Research Blog which covers the diversity of the crafts movment in the world today http://www.craftresearch.blogspot.com/ It's a little headier than most of the day to day stuff we discuss in blogging the textile world but certainly worth a read.

No comments: